Top 10 Most Popular Artists In The USA List by Contemporary Art Gallery Magazine
There is very good media coverage of all the various visual arts. In addition to educational programs in the public and private schools, there are popular art history courses in most major colleges and universities.
Anyone who has looked at the art department course offerings in an art course catalog at a major university or college of art and design will be able to choose from a wonderful array of art study from every culture and age.
You don’t have to go to college to appreciate art. There are online courses available and junior college offerings. Almost any major museum has an art education program that is sometimes very adequate for most peoples’ interests. The internet is a veritable super art library as well with artworks by numerous past and contemporary artists. The articles are numerous as well as fair to good quality art images. Even the online poster stores make a huge number of works available by lithograph print at a very low price.
Art is now so popular that particular artists’ popularity can be measured by several factors:
- 1) attendance numbers of recent public and private exhibitions of their works
- 2) sales figures on art textbooks and art coffee table books that include a particular artist’s works
- 3) numbers of art posters and art lithographs sold per year
- 4) sales of art postcards, tee shirts, and any other art imprinted wares with an artist’s work
- 5) numbers of search engine requests for an artist’s name or title of his/her works
- 6) numbers of research projects conducted by students and professionals.
The list of these artists is large and it varies from month to month and from year to year. So I have compiled the Top 10 Most Popular Artists In The USA List for 2006 – 2007 with the help of the staff at Contemporary Art Gallery Magazine
TOP 10: Claude Monet, Auguste Renoir, Vincent van Gogh, Pablo Picasso, Henri Matisse, Edgar Degas, Marc Chagall, Salvador Dali, Georgia O’Keefe, Paul Gauguin.
There were some notable surprises for me. Leonardo DaVinci did not make the top 10 artists list, but Jack Vettriano got amazingly close to the list considering his rather contemporary body of work and romantic subject matter. If you have a favorite artist who is not on this list, but you believe should be, send us an email at CAG.